Monday, September 12, 2022

30 Years

 

When people ask me the secret to a long, happy married life, I want to say: marry a poet. 

 

Robert Frost said that “poetry is when an emotion has found its thought, and the thought has found words.” During uncertain and chaotic times, poetry consoles us as we listen closely to words that make us feel less alone and more alive. Amanda Gorman reminds us that “there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it, if only we’re brave enough to be it.” 

 

We can’t all be or marry poets. But we can learn from them. The truth is, I have more questions than answers about the secrets to a happy life together. But I have learned well from my husband, Andy. 

 

His example tells me that we should retain our humor and sprinkle it generously into our daily interactions, especially when life feels overwhelming. He reminds me of the importance of remaining curious about one another and maybe even occasionally planning surprises that knock a spouse’s socks off.  

 


On the occasion of our 30th wedding anniversary, Andy presented me with a beautiful 167 page book with 100 previously-unseen poems he had written over the last year. Instantly, this book became my most prized possession, a physical manifestation of his love. Like Linus with his blanket, I’ve been carrying it from room to room around the house, reading a few poems at a time. I like feeling the weight of the declarations of his devotion in my hands. 

 


The other well-kept surprise Andy planned was a backyard gathering of friends, there to celebrate our 30 years together. I knew my sweet husband must have something up his sleeve because he’s romantic like that. Like the evening we said “I do” all those years ago, this was a night I will always remember. Thank you, Andy for 30 years of love, laughter, play, and adventure. Let’s have 30+ more❣️



No comments:

Post a Comment