Monday, July 25, 2016

Warrior Woman

Sweet are the uses of adversity which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head.

William Shakespeare


Looking at this girl's sweet smile fills me with mad respect and admiration for the way in which she handles adversity, so I feel compelled to give her a big shout-out. Life throws Geneva more than her fair share of challenges. Keeping it simple, her latest trial includes a recent diagnosis involving her blood not clotting as it should, leading to anemia and weekly infusions of iron. Her extreme anemia makes it difficult just getting out of bed on many days. But even if her day starts with me ripping off her covers and nearly dragging her out of bed, she keeps going, so eager to make the move to her Midwestern college digs. She leaves two weeks from today for college. Nothing can stop her.

A few weeks ago, I started calling her a warrior. And then she told me that her favorite high school (Drama) teacher always called her Warrior Woman. That makes me smile because I see how she truly knows my daughter, and that this teacher's love, kindness, and mentorship meant everything to her. 




Geneva, my Boonie Boo, you are a lesson in resilience. Your determination is inspiring. You will not let adversity keep you from pursuing your dreams and your passions. I want to remind you that so, SO many people love you and have your back, especially your mom, as I will always be your #1 fan. You’ve got this. Go take on the world!




No comments:

Post a Comment