Monday, February 17, 2020

Diagonal Adventures


All year long, we look forward to the second week in February. We get to spend it in San Francisco, which I think is the just about best place to spend a few days seeing sights. As we’re a family of writers, attending the San Francisco Writers Conference has become a family affair. Andy presents poetry summits by day, and with a quick change of clothes, dazzles as host of the jazz and poetry performances. This year, Truman participated in his first conference workshop for young writers. Some of you may know that Truman has completed a draft of his first novel (titled “The Impossible Luna Jade”), so he had some context for the lessons he was learning about writing. I enjoyed watching Truman excitedly exchanging texts about his experience with his big sister, off at college. Next year, she will attend as a conference volunteer and as a recent college graduate with a degree in creative writing. 

Because we take a similar trip every Valentine’s Day week, I can use this week to assess my kids’ (and dog’s) growth, physical as well as emotional. For instance, I should be used to Truman’s deep voice by now, but I’m still startled when I hear him intonate a phrase like “Let me check my phone to see what restaurants are nearby.” And I should be used to his height, but it still surprises me when I notice that my walking buddy now looks me in the eye!

While the Writers Conference is a big draw for us, any time we spent not thinking about, talking about, or dreaming about writing, we spent exploring the City on foot. Remembering tiny Margot’s fatigue on long walks this time last year, I took along her puppy sling, imagining that she would need to be carried when her wee Frenchie legs grew tired. But never did she slow or even pause during our typically 15,000-step journeys. Evidently, our daily four-mile walks had prepared her well for a series of grand city adventures. She seemed to delight in every moment. And why not? SF is crawling with dogs, especially Frenchies, and people who love Frenchies. Margot received significant love from dozens of strangers. I think she thinks she is famous!  

As we set out each day, we had a general sense of where we were headed, but by now we know the City well enough to navigate without the use of maps, which could spoil the fun. Besides, we feel that the best discoveries are the surprises we happen upon, such as the time we looked up to see what Jukie found so interesting in the sky: it was the parrots of Telegraph Hill. While lost in Golden Gate Park, we stumbled upon Shakespeare Garden, a popular site for weddings. And have you visited The Musée Mécanique? Who knew there was a museum filled with antique working arcade games down at the wharf? 

We could walk so much and so far because Margot was full of energy, because my knees lasted longer than expected, and because Jukie used all of his best behavior, even though we know grueling marches can be hard on him. I couldn’t blame him when he repeatedly stood stock still in front of me during the long climb up to Nob Hill. I encouraged him with, “There’s a park at the top!” He shook his head “no.” “I’m not pushing you up this hill,” I said. He signed, “yes.” We compromised by pausing every so often to eat bananas. And when we finally did reach the top, we delighted in hearing the bells of Grace Cathedral, which rang for many minutes, and which prompted Jukie to stand and watch the bell towers. People out walking their dogs stopped and sat on benches to listen. I don’t know if there’s a more magical sound than its forty-four bell carillon. 

Because we were stopped so often by Margot’s new fans, on our long walks Jukie had opportunities to rest and to share affectionate hugs, gentle head bonks, and kisses with Truman and me. Sleeping in (thank you, blackout curtains) and diagonally in a double bed next to his brother, Jukie must have realized that we were on vacation. I think the whole family is ready for another hilly adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment