Saturday, June 10, 2023

Graduation Day

 

Today we’re filled with pride as we celebrate Jukie’s graduation! 👨🏻‍🦰🎓 As we’re still processing all our complex emotions about this time of transition, I’ll let Jukie’s wonderful teacher of the last 11 years speak about this momentous occasion. Here is an excerpt from the commencement address given to and for Jukie by his devoted teacher:

 

“Over the years, half of Jukie‘s life… I have watched Jukie grow, learn, and define himself. Throughout everything in this journey, Jukie has steadfastly remained Jukie. We have learned to work together, but everything is in negotiation. I love the way he advocates for himself and for what he wants. He is willing to discuss with you what you want, but do not take it as a given.


Often in this job, you learn as much as you teach. Jukie is the professor of patience, the maestro of minutiae, the department chair of feng shui. Without him, how would we know which way to cross our legs? How to wear our shirt sleeves fashionably? And why you might want to consider a shorter haircut?

 

But Jukie goes much deeper than that. Jukie is a very accurate reflection of your moods, your joy and your sadness. He is sensitive and caring. He is loving and honest. You will always know where you stand with Jukie.

 

Jukie is also incredibly smart. That does not mean he necessarily wants to learn what you are offering to teach, but that when he wants to know how to do something, he will figure it out. Jukie has forced me to become a better teacher, to think in new and creative ways, to become more sensitive myself, and to broaden my view of the world around me — and to know the precise positioning of my fingers to give the ultimate head squeeze.

 

Jukie, I am going to miss your sly smiles, your oh so Juk-ish sign language, and your laughs. Oh the laughs. 

 

And you, Andy, Kate, Geneva, and Truman, I thank all of you, for all of the trust you have put in us with your beloved Jukie. Your family’s love and support for him has never wavered and never will. Jukie is in great hands and I wish all of you the best. I hope the sequel to ‘Where’s Jukie?’ is titled something more like: ‘Jukie’s just Chilling.’

 

And now, let’s enjoy one last obsequious bow from Jukie!”

No comments:

Post a Comment