Friday, April 2, 2021

Seeing Jukie

This World Autism Awareness Day, let us celebrate and show solidarity with all people with autism. On this day, and on behalf of my son Jukie, I ask for more than just awareness. 


We must promote acceptance of individuals across the spectrum, which includes recognizing the profound end of the autism spectrum: people like my son are rarely seen. 


People with profound autism need a tremendous amount of care. This burden of love leaves many families feeling defeated and depleted. Especially during this ongoing pandemic, we need the support of advocates and champions to help us ensure that those living with autism have the resources and support they need to live life to the fullest.


My son is so much more than his label. He is not his autism. Autism doesn’t define him. He is a person who was born with a syndrome which causes autism. He’s more like you or I than he is different from us. Like anyone, my son seeks kindness, patience, and understanding. 


Please recognize my son’s value. Include him. Treat him with dignity. Though he cannot speak, speak to him. Though he may not look you in the eye, he sees you. My boy is a font of curiosity and of love. Look at him. See him.

No comments:

Post a Comment